Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day
On the 12th September 2022 a one off Public Holiday was announced, Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day, to be observed on Monday 26th September 2022. There have been no additional conditions or modified treatments for this day.
Key points :
- Act of Parliament to be passed week commencing 19th September 2022, first reading complete
- Conditions to be consistent with those under the Holiday’s Act
- Should you choose to close:
- Staff will be paid as they would normally be with any other public holiday as if this was an ordinary working day (commonly salaried employees)
- Should you choose to operate:
- Employees who take a public holiday as a day off work: get no less than their relevant daily pay (or average daily pay if applicable) for their normal rostered shift
- Employees who work on the public holiday get: the greater of time and a half or relevant daily pay including penal rates in their employment agreement, for the actual hours worked on the public holiday, and only if they would have otherwise worked on the day, an alternative holiday for each public holiday or part of a public holiday the shift covers.
Public Holidays generally create a positive reaction amongst the general population however businesses do need to consider the real impact of this additional holiday on cash flow. Wages will need to be covered for an additional day without cash receipts from trading for businesses that close. For those who do decide to operate (commonly hospitality) wages will increase – either way events like this also highlight the benefit of having an up to date cash flow forecast.
There are a number of industry specific operational considerations: Are there future orders that need to be cancelled for stock (perishables), meetings / appointments to reschedule, client communications to be sent, or will your clients be closing for the day? Run your checks and be prepared.
For advice specific to any of the above or you would like help understanding your business better please speak to your relationship manager or give us a call 0800 282 887, we’re more than happy to help you get the most out of your businesses and set up for success.
You might also be interested in: